Thursday, January 22, 2015

Terrible Morning, Great Day

This morning, I learned about mama superpowers. I also learned where those powers come from. 

Husband has been at work for 24 hours, leaving me home alone with a teething, sick four month old and two big, spoiled, extremely demanding and needy fur babies. 

Here is how my morning went:

Baby decides to wake up (screaming/ crying) every 1.2 hours throughout the entire night. It takes mama 30 minutes to fall back asleep once the baby is settled each time. You do the math. He also will only sleep on top of me and only if I'm sitting up. Perfect position for me to get some rest, right?

Baby makes the official wake up call and is finally happy and awake for the day at 5AM. No big deal, I wasn't going to get any sleep anyway. Might as well do something productive. 

We get up, he eats breakfast and at the same time makes an explosive poop. You know, the change the whole outfit including the socks kind of poop. But, he doesn't want to take a break from his breakfast so he is angry. Can you imagine how that diaper change went?

Diaper changed, headed back to the living room to finish breakfast (wishing I had an IV of coffee, but a cup will do) and on the way we get the lovely projectile spit up... right down my shirt which is already soaked from my hormonal reaction to a screaming baby all night (ie: milk). We get cleaned up. Finish baby's breakfast. 

I let the dogs out to potty. I make more coffee. I hook up breast pump. I feed dogs. I let dogs in to eat. I start pumping. 

One minute into pumping and I hear a dog gagging at the door... that's right, more vomit. None of it my own. I ignore it. Husband can clean that junk up when he gets home. I've dealt with enough bodily fluids this morning already. 

I continue to pump. Alarm goes off in bedroom (this is when I SHOULD be waking up). Alarm scares baby, angers dogs. I detach from pump. Turn off alarm. Spill half of pumped milk while rehooking pump (and want to cry). Take deep breath and a giant gulp of coffee. Continue to pump. Get ready for the day, pack the car, make lunch, wash pump parts, grab another cup of coffee (all while holding/ entertaining baby), load up baby. 

Look in the rear view mirror. Baby smiles. 

And now, it's all worth it.

Conclusion: Baby smiles give mamas super powers. 

Today will be great because 1) After all of this, I still managed to have a smiling baby, and 2) My awesome husband brought me breakfast to work, so after this crazy morning, at least I won't be starving. 

That smile makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment